Dear Praying Friends,
Greetings from Manila in Jesus name. There are so many things that go on in and around our lives and ministries that if it wasn't for the faithfulness of the Lord to His promises, we would get all shook up. I have been reminded again and again of Psalm 16:8 when David says "I have set the Lord continually before me; because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." (NASB) We can get shook up if we want to but praise God we don't have to if we choose to keep the Lord before us. The following are ministry updates and requests for prayer.
1) REVIEW OF MINNESOTA TRIP
We had a delightful time in Minnesota with Amos, Micah and extended family. We also ministered in 3 churches and I had several appointments with pastors and friends. The trip was fruitful and well worth the expense. I was asked frequently what people can pray for and I'm asking prayer for a "Timothy" to shadow me as I go around and do my work. I need a single man who is good with a lap-top who is willing to learn the nuts, bolts and guts of mission work along with helping me with my email correspondence. I am technologically challenged. So pray for this young man to show up. Thank you for praying.
2) EVANGELISTIC CHRISTMAS PARTY REPORT
Yesterday I was in a meeting with several pastors and church workers as we planned together how best to follow up our new brothers and sisters in Christ as a result of our 60 parties in December. We are now working together on developing the best way to follow up those who attended with Bible studies and incorporating them into the body of Christ. Click here to see the full report. Click here to see photos.
3) CHURCH PLANTING IN REAL, QUEZON
The party in Real served as the kick-off to a 3-year church planting project which will be led by the New Testament Baptist Church of Paete, Laguna. Our relief and development team has been working in this area since December '04 when it was hit hard by consecutive super typhoons causing much damage and death. After doing a lot of relief and development we have earned the trust and friendship of many in this barrio and it is really nice to be warmly welcomed by these folks when we go there. When we were there 2 weeks ago, we visited the leader of the barrio, Greg, who was shot in the stomach point-blank when he intervened in a domestic dispute on January 2. He realizes God has given him a 2nd chance at life and he is grateful. We had a nice conversation with him in his home and prayed for him. Last August we led Greg to faith in Christ and he is giving his full blessing to planting a Bible-believing, Christ-exalting church in his community. At this party we also gave to the local elementary school principle $5500 worth of textbooks for their school because they lost almost all of their books in the mudslide. The principle has opened the school for Bible studies and worship services on the weekends and is permitting the children and teachers to attend Bible studies on Thursday afternoons.
4) REED COMMISSIONING & IC MEETINGS IN WALES
Last Friday at our monthly team meeting we had the honor of sending forth our own Nelson and Linda Reed to be ACTION's next International Director. They have served in Manila for 23 years and are dear friends of Mary Ann and mine. As a matter of fact, when we arrived 21 years ago, it was Nelson and Doug Nichols who fetched us at the airport, welcomed us with big smiles and filled the refrigerator with food. Nelson and Linda will be installed officially as ACTION's International Director March 4 in Wales before we begin our International Council meetings.
I also ask prayer for wisdom and guidance for the Council because I have been nominated to be Nelson's Associate Director for which I feel *totally* inadequate but we are willing to serve as called upon. Mary Ann and I leave for Wales March 2 and return to Manila the 11th. Pray for us as we have much to prepare prior to these meetings.
5) CERVANTES KIDS UPDATE
Thank you for praying for the 6 Cervantes orphans because we are working regularly with them and their grandmother Anita. Recently Bryan and Noelyn were brought to a doctor because of large growths that needed to be checked. We will be starting them on 6 months of medication this week. We are also preparing the school-aged kids for tutoring starting in February so they will be prepared for the next school year that starts in June. They all want to go to school so we are grateful for Mylin Butor, a church worker, who is willing to work with the Cervantes family and personally tutor these kids.
6) LET'S BE LIKE THE "FAITHFUL CHURCH"
Last Sunday I preached at a church challenging them to preach the gospel and extend compassionate care to the poor and downtrodden in their area of the city. I said this type of ministry requires lots of hard work, faith and prayer if we are going to seize the many opportunities around us each day for doing good in the name of Christ. However, I learned that this church has many internal struggles and is not able to reach out until they get relationships settled. This is sad.
I am now studying Revelation and when I read 3:7-13 how Jesus commended the church at Philidelphia for its faithfulness in maintaining their missionary zeal by grabbing the opportunities that He gave them, I was challenged to be like them. I ask you to read Jesus' message to this primitive church and ask yourself, like I'm asking myself, "Am I prepared to walk through open doors of opportunity to do good and point others to the Savior?" If we set Jesus at our right hand we will be prepared to serve Him regardless of circumstances.
We thank you for your prayers and support throughout the year. Without you none of this is possible. Bless you my friends.
Sincerely in Christ,
Jeff
No comments:
Post a Comment