Monday, December 24, 2007

Learning to rest after hitting it hard

I've really been mulling over 2 Corinthians 8:9 since our party in Baseco December 16. This verse to me expresses the essence of Christmas and the pure motivation for ministry. We're rich in Christ's grace because He became poor. This isn't the false "prosperity gospel" but our standing before God clothed in Christ's redemption and righteousness.

We've been working double-time the last 5-6 weeks so it's nice to have some time to rest until January 2. As I've matured in the Lord, life and ministry (come to know Christ in 1973 and served in full-time ministry since '79) I've come to realize the vital importance of extended periods for rest even though it's difficult for me to do it. Resting, to me, doesn't mean idleness but doing things I'm normally not able to do like read a good non-work related book, watch a stimulating DVD or take a leisurely walk and have a prolonged cup of coffee with Mary Ann. Praise God one of the fruits of accomplishment is the soul deep sweetness of a job well done then leaving the results to God. Proverbs 13:19a " A desire accomplished is sweet to the soul." (NKJ)

No comments: