Tuesday, September 18, 2007

30 Years in Full-time Urban Ministry

September 18, 2007

On my way to the office this morning I remembered starting at Midwest Challenge located in south Minneapolis in September 1977 so this is my 30th consecutive year in full-time urban ministry. I also met Mary Ann at that time as she worked at MWC as a secretary and part-time counselor. When I reminded her of this tonight as we ate supper I said "it's by God's grace that I can smile as I tell you this." She told me that when she saw my name on the list of MWC staff her first question to a fellow staff member was "Is he single?" Come on Mary Ann you're more spiritual than that! :-)

It is by God's calling and enabling grace that we serve fruitfully in ministry. Even though we work very hard it's not due to our savvy, skills or gifts that we're able to be fruitful in ministry because it's Jesus working in and through us producing eternal fruit to His glory. My life ministry verse is 1 Corinthians 15:10.

Pray for me because tomorrow I'm speaking at the 9th Global Consultation on Child Welfare Services on the topic of street children. This is a good opportunity to meet others who work with children-at-risk.

I'm going back now to my study of Mark 1:1-20

No comments: