Friday, January 13, 2012

Our common bond: brothers in Christ

Last Friday our team toured several temporary evacuation sites, severely flood affected areas and a tent city all located in Cagayan De Oro City. At one evacuation site where 57 families are crammed into a covered basketball court, getting their water from 55 gallon drums, cooking their donated food over camp fires and have a few latrines serving everyone people are idle, desperate and verging on giving up hope. I introduced myself to a young man and after getting acquainted I told him I'm a follower of Christ and he said he is also so we immediately had Christ in common. I then put my hand on his shoulder and prayed a simple prayer asking the Lord to comfort and bless him. After I prayed he was crying with tears running down his cheeks. He then introduced me to his wife and six month old son. Since he is from an Assembly of God church I mentioned him to others on our team who are from an Assembly of God church and asked them to look for him and help him. They said they would. I realized afresh that even though this guy and I are worlds apart in life experience our bond in Christ drew us close to each other. Psalm 86:7 rolls through my mind as I write this post: "In the days of my trouble, I will call to You, for you will answer me."
--

No comments: