Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Hip hiker

Jeff's progress has been going very well. The doctor says he can be discharged tomorrow. He has been learning to use the walker but he needs to relearn a good walking gait. He tends to raise his hip too high so the therapist keep telling him "no hip hiking". Several people seem to be a little intimidated until Jeff speaks Tagalog. We have seen how that really puts people at ease. Expressing gratitude also helps them relax with us foreigners and seems to make them shine. Everyone has been a blessing to us from the doctors, nurses, cleaners, food servers, therapists and all the rest. We will miss their special care.

Jeff has not had much pain since the first day. His muscles are stiff and he has to work at the pace they set for him but he is doing well. It has been fun for me to go to the PT room because I know some of the therapists from 2010 when I had a frozen shoulder on the left side. I asked Jeff's rehab doctor about my right shoulder and he gave me some good advice. We are hoping I can get my therapy prescribed soon so maybe we can get our appointments at the same time.

We realize we both have a big task ahead. I told Jeff that we can now walk together and eventually we'll walk to the new Starbucks in our neighborhood and he can buy me a Latte. In the meantime we'll walk circles on our apartment roof deck with his walker.

We appreciate all the prayers. There have been a few times when we really needed something worked out and The Lord answered! There are some other things that we need the Lord to help with so we still need prayer.

Mary Ann Anderson
Sent from my iPhone

No comments: