Thursday, December 13, 2007

Kids have a tough life but they're still kids

The 70+ kids at the DasmariƱas party Wednesday aren't in school because they're working to supplement their family income. They sell candy and cigarettes, wash cars, hustle newspapers and beg. When I asked Pedro (9) and Adrian (10) where they were going after the party they said to wash cars until 2am! Then they'll go home to sleep and start work again mid-morning so the party gave them a break from work. I noticed both boys had many rubber-bands on their wrists and when I asked them why they taught me a marbles-type game they love to play. Through-out the party Pedro, Adrian and their buddies had a *great* time singing and playing games and when it was time to eat they totally consumed in a few minutes their huge plate of spaghetti and chicken then looked for and got more. When was the last time these kids ate!? The kids and their parents will be followed up by the four churches involved with the party and be invited to worship services and Sunday school.

No comments: