November 8, 2007
Yesterday we started our feeding for about 30 street kids in Dasmariñas, Cavite and I think this is perhaps the toughest situation I've seen yet. I met a young mother with her little 5 kids, another set of siblings and just about all the kids sniffing glue and high. They hang out in a vacant lot just off the main highway that's full of garbage, broken glass and overgrown with brush. Most of the kids are barefoot with lots of sores, cuts and infections head to foot. We met under a tree and sang a few Christian choruses, a young man from a local church told the story of Zaccheus' conversation to Christ (Luke 19:1-10), we prayed then the kids ate lots and lots of good soup. They seemed to be grateful. Someday soon Pastors Benny and Mel and a few others will help the kids clean the lot so it's a little more sanitary and pay a visit to the city mayor so city hall will know what the pastors are doing and why.
While we were talking with the kids I was almost overpowered by the smell of garbage, glue, sweat, looking at the pitiful condition of the kids and the heat of the day. The kids were kind and friendly but while they were eating I just about puked. Usually I have a stomach this type of situation but this time I didn't and I'm glad I'm still sensitive to others' misery. Why do we do this--climb over a broken down wall to get into a lot full of smelly garbage to minister to kids who are also considered garbage? I keep asking myself this question and the answer is simple and profound. Our God sent His Son Jesus Christ to live, die and rise again for all of us so even street kids living in garbage can experience His love and hope for a better life and future. Christ is our hope-filled Message and outside of Him life is hopeless. December 12 we'll have a Christmas party for 60 street kids from Dasmariñas recruited by four churches we're training and I was asked to bring the message. I'll tell the kids about the One Who was born to die for their sins so they too can have new life in Him. I'll also encourage the four churches to keep ministering to the street kids they're learning to love in Christ because there's always hope in Him even though at times life seems hopeless.
Lord willing, we'll also have a camp for these kids in partnership with the churches we're training February 12-15, '08 at nearby Camp Jabez.
While we were talking with the kids I was almost overpowered by the smell of garbage, glue, sweat, looking at the pitiful condition of the kids and the heat of the day. The kids were kind and friendly but while they were eating I just about puked. Usually I have a stomach this type of situation but this time I didn't and I'm glad I'm still sensitive to others' misery. Why do we do this--climb over a broken down wall to get into a lot full of smelly garbage to minister to kids who are also considered garbage? I keep asking myself this question and the answer is simple and profound. Our God sent His Son Jesus Christ to live, die and rise again for all of us so even street kids living in garbage can experience His love and hope for a better life and future. Christ is our hope-filled Message and outside of Him life is hopeless. December 12 we'll have a Christmas party for 60 street kids from Dasmariñas recruited by four churches we're training and I was asked to bring the message. I'll tell the kids about the One Who was born to die for their sins so they too can have new life in Him. I'll also encourage the four churches to keep ministering to the street kids they're learning to love in Christ because there's always hope in Him even though at times life seems hopeless.
Lord willing, we'll also have a camp for these kids in partnership with the churches we're training February 12-15, '08 at nearby Camp Jabez.
No comments:
Post a Comment