with some parents who work as scavengers or people who collect
recyclable garbage. One woman (I don't remember her name) remembered
me from '91-93 when Ron Homenuke (an ACTION missionary working in
Olongapo City) and I did street ministry in Cubao among families who
lived in their "push-carts".
I also met 11 year old Jim Boy and his two year old brother Joshua
who live with their four siblings and parents under an awning of a
bank. Jim Boy and Joshua beg and pick garbage for food. I fed
Joshua his food because he is too little to handle a big plate of
food and boy did he polish off his meal! His tummy was full when he
was done!
I met Biona a 17 year old with her two month old boy Alexander who
live under another bank's awning.
People live under awnings of buildings because they're well lit and
have guards so they're fairly safe while they sleep with one eye open.
Pastor Jun of Invaders for Christ Church gave a wonderful message
about the healing of blind Bartimaeus (Mark 10:46-52) and encouraged
the kids to not give up in their prayers to Jesus even if people tell
them to be quiet or discourage their faith. I think the kids and
adults really connected with Bartimaeus because he was a handicapped
and a discarded beggar left on the side of life who became a follower
of Jesus.
Two long-time partner churches worked with ACTION in making this
party happen--Invaders for Christ and Jesus our Hope. Jesus our Hope
has regular Sunday school classes for many of these kids so they were
very responsive to the teachers. I praise God for the dedicated
church workers of both churches who are taking the Gospel to the
streets and have helped their churches to open their front doors to
people who wouldn't ordinarily feel welcome in a church.
Personally my heart was really warmed by this party because of the
response of the kids and adults to the teachers and Pastor Jun's
message. I've been studying the Gospels the past several months (I
studied John 12-14:1-3 today before the party) and I've seen afresh
how Jesus was moved with compassion for the least, last and lost. I
pray I'll grow to be more and more like Him--moved for the blind
Bartimaeuses of our world.
No comments:
Post a Comment