Tuesday, April 29, 2008

One foot in the pulpit and the other on the street while preaching from the gut

Yesterday after getting home from our weekend of ministry in a
supporting church where I preached 3 times plus taught in a Sunday
school class for high schoolers I was exhausted. The trip included
lots of visiting and driving but the response of the people was very
encouraging and their free-will offering generous. One of the
services was on local radio and a listener emailed me saying my
message was "powerful" and "right on". The title of the message was
"Kingdom Values--Servant Leadership" taken from Matthew 8:1-4 and
Mark 10:35-45.

When I preach, whether it's a Lutheran, Baptist, Pentacostal or some
other Christ exulting, Bible teaching church my message is basically
the same--Christ and His compassionate salvation for the least, last
and lost. I speak plainly and simply from the Word of God with my
whole heart imploring God's people to *be* like our Lord Jesus and
*do* as He did when He walked through the villages and cities of His
day. I speak from the streets and squatter communities of Manila from
my gut and I'm surprised when people respond positively to the
message and churches invite me back. This is the work of the Holy
Spirit burning deep within and I pray it never goes out.

Our prayer while we go from church to church is that Christ will be
exulted and people moved with His compassion to minister to hurting,
confused, lost people whether they're sitting in a pew, living across
the street or half way around the globe. I'm a terrible speaker but
our Lord Jesus is majestic and the Word of God is powerfully
transforming hearts and lives for God's glory and the growth of His
Kingdom.

No comments: