Saturday, June 25, 2011

"Yes, Lord!" Update 6/24/11

Dear Praying friends,

The other day Mary Ann mentioned to me it has been quite a furlough and I said, "that it has and it's been full of variety." Our delay in returning to Manila has allowed us to do several things like further prepare our apartment in Roseville, MN for family who will move in after we depart, speak in a church, update our Wills, Health Care Directive and Power of Attorney, and meet again with several friends and family members. We have stood on Psalm 37:23 which says "The steps [delays and stops] of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way." (NKJV) I've said many times while preaching to others and to myself that nothing in the kingdom of God is random because He orchestrates all things providentially for His glory and our good. The following are updates on previous prayer requests and requests for more. 

1. Onward and upward, update on my eye
Yesterday Dr. Quiram, my retina specialist in St. Paul, cleared me to resume normal activities like sleeping in any position and to fly. Since my surgery two weeks ago I have slept in a chair so last night it was good to sleep horizontal. She said I am doing amazingly well and one month ahead of schedule in the healing process. Continue to pray for recovery of full sight in my left eye because it is still hazy, but it is improving little by little. She gave me a referral of two retina specialists in Manila and I am to have a follow up there in 6-8 weeks. She said "You're a tough guy" but really I'm a wimp but God has given me courage to go through this situation through the prayers of you all and the help and encouragement of many. Because I am cleared to fly, we will leave June 27 for Spokane, WA to visit Danny and Micah Scott because they really want to see us before we go to Manila and Delta Airlines charged us only $45 each for the change of itinerary. They also waived the fee for changing our ticket due to medical reasons. We're hoping Amos can join us for an extended 4th of July weekend and we will depart for Manila July 6. Thank you for praying through this with us because as you know, travel is expensive and funds are limited so we're thanking the Lord for this special blessing.

2. Feed My Starving Children Update
For several months I worked on a meeting between the coordinator of Grace Church Eden Prairie, Dick Edstrom, and another FMSC food champion of Maple Plain Community (another supporting church) to see if the two churches could work together in sending us more food. This meeting took place June 14 and the two churches, along with a possible third, will work together in getting us more food. The leadership at FMSC agreed to this increase because they are very pleased with the reports they are receiving from our team along with several photos which you can see on our online photo album: https://picasaweb.google.com/action.siteam

Currently our Fish and Bread Feeding Program is ministering to 2,814 children and 60 elderly inmates at 33 sites. We are also in discussions with Child Evangelism Fellowship about using their age appropriate Tagalog Bible study materials.

3. June 15-17 Camp
We had 32 street children and 8 participating churches at this evangelistic camp for street children All the campers indicated they trusted Christ as Savior and are now being followed up by churches that recruited them. Two boys and six girls are now in shelters of partner ministries since they were in difficult situations. Here are the testimonies of the two boys referred to Children's Garden, a partner ministry.
1. Edmar B. (age 15): I am very thankful to the church that invited me to join camp. I only went to have a good experience but I never thought I would surrender my life to Jesus Christ as my Savior. I was raised by my grandmother and step grandfather because my mother married again after my father died according to her. I finished my elementary school in the province and then enrolled here in Quezon City. I only did well in my first year of high school because by the second year I was hooked on playing on computers with my peers. I skipped classes and learned to lie until they discovered that I am not going to school anymore. I am supposed to be in my fourth year now but maybe God has a plan for me. I was sent back to the province to my grandma and joined a circus that travelled to different provinces to perform during their fiestas. I learned to drink and smoke but I realized this wasn't good for me and I went back home to my grandma. It was during this time my mother sent me a message to ask if I want to join this camp. I decided to go and praise the Lord I have been referred to a shelter home.
2. Jerry L. (age 17): I have been through many trials after my mother got married when I was in 3rd grade. I have not seen my father. I have 3 step siblings who are grown up. They are good to me and I have no problems with them. My mother is a housewife and my stepfather is a mechanic who is sick and doesn't have a fixed income so we are financially unstable. I only finished my first year of high school because my family cannot send me to school. I joined the Alternative Learning System (ALS) program sponsored by Jabez Community Christian Fellowship. I realized that I don't have a future with my gang and prayed that God will change my heart. I heard the Gospel at church and attended services but I didn't understand the Gospel. At camp the speaker clearly defined what salvation is through Christ so I thank the people who encouraged me to join the camp. I am ready to be a disciple of Christ, continue my studies through ALS and learn a livelihood skill. 
4. All Nations Fellowship Retreat
Mary Ann and I had a great time when we ministered at the ANF Retreat June 3-5. It was held at Big Sandy Bible Camp where over 30 years ago Mary Ann and I ministered at previous church retreats so it brought back many wonderful memories. It was a joy getting to know folks at this retreat who are from all over the world and in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area studying or working. Truly this was a reflection of the multi-ethnic nature of the kingdom of God.

5. Personal support and car fund update
We are around 90% in our personal support and a few churches where we have ministered during our furlough are considering supporting us. Pray that our 100% level will be met. We're still need about $16,000 in order to purchase a car in Manila. We ask you to prayerfully consider these needs and if the Lord would have you contribute. We're grateful for each donation because we realize they are given sacrificially in love as unto the Lord with much prayer. See below for more information on how to give.

6. Dr. Ron Carlson's homegoing
Ron Carlson of Christian Ministries International passed away unexpectedly June 16. Ron was one of the key people to connect Mary Ann and me with Action International Ministries in the early 80's. He was a huge encouragement to us personally and very involved with ACTION's ministry in Cuba. His funeral is tomorrow and I am sure many people from all over the country will be present to honor and remember this wonderful man of God. Pray for his wife Marge, their two sons Joshua and Jared, their wives and kids as they grieve the homegoing of their dear husband, father and grandpa. Here is a powerful radio message by Brannon Howse about Ron Carlson that you may be interested in listening to.
http://www.worldviewweekend.com/worldview-radio/play.php?EpisodeID=19028

Closing
Some of the verses that the Spirit has applied to my heart during my eye situation are (NKJV):
• Psalm 31:15 "My times are in Your hand."
• Psalm 41:1 & 3 "Blessed is he who considers the poor; the Lord will deliver him in time of trouble. The Lord will sustain him on his bed of illness; You will sustain him on his sick bed."
• Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."
• Proverbs 16:9 "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."
• Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."

I reminded myself many times that blessed are the flexible for they will not break. This is true and I commend the above verses to you for your encouragement. Thanks for standing with us in prayer. You are all precious to us. 

Sincerely in Christ,

Jeff

No comments: