I'm sending this a few days early because tomorrow afternoon through Tuesday Mary Ann and I will be taking a much needed study retreat in the countryside. We're looking forward to spending unhurried time reading our Bibles and other good books we're working through, praying and planning. One of the major lessons we're learning is to take time to recharge our bodies, minds and souls. Mary Ann has done much better with this than me over the years and I've asked her to hold me accountable to our need to do this regularly because we really desire to run our races strategically and finish well. Here are requests for prayer which also reflects how our Lord is working in our midst through your intercession.
1. Christian Growth Ministries' (CGM) 50th anniversary.
Tomorrow is CGM's (formerly called Christ for Greater Manila) 50th anniversary. When we arrived in Manila in '85 we worked with CGM's Lighthouse ministry among street children and prostitutes and have continued to work closely with them over the years. I've served on CGM's Board for several years and continue to do so. Doug Nichols, ACTION's Founder and International Director Emeritus and his wife Margaret, are here for the anniversary and Doug will speak because he served as CGM's director for several years. It's good to take time to celebrate God's faithfulness over the years which we'll do tomorrow with many friends along with former and current co-workers.
2. CGM-ACTION 17th annual Pastoral Care conference.
2. CGM-ACTION 17th annual Pastoral Care conference.
August 17-19 was our 17th annual Pastoral Care conference with the theme "Men for God's Glory". 270+ pastors and workers attended and enjoyed the wonderful Bible teaching of Pastor Wayne Smith from Snohomish Community Church and Ed Landry former ACTION Philippines missionary now residing in Tennessee. Several Filipino pastors taught break-out sessions and gave morning devotional messages. I gave the devotional message, however, the 17th called "Marks of being Born Again" which was well received after which I showed a video about work with street children. Many guys asked us questions and we had several good discussions about working with the poor because pastors know they're surrounded by poverty stricken people and they know the Bible's mandate to care for the needy.
Before I spoke a guy asked me "Bro Jeff do you remember me?" I replied "help me please". He responded "when you ministered at the New Bilibid National Prison I was there and I remember you. Today I'm a seminary grad, pastor and school administrator." Then after I spoke he said to me "Bro Jeff you haven't lost your passion." A double WOW! Thank-you Lord Jesus for opening the window a little so we can see some fruit of our labors!
This pastor also told me that when he was a boy he and his three brothers slept in a jeepney and scratched out a living (he was incarcerated for robbery) on the streets because they came from a broken family. One brother died on the streets as a drug addict, another was shot dead by the police because he was a criminal and the other is also a pastor today. We resolved together to not give up on prisoners and street kids because they're still capable of responding to God's transforming grace through Jesus Christ.
3. Feed My Starving Children feeding visitations.
Before I spoke a guy asked me "Bro Jeff do you remember me?" I replied "help me please". He responded "when you ministered at the New Bilibid National Prison I was there and I remember you. Today I'm a seminary grad, pastor and school administrator." Then after I spoke he said to me "Bro Jeff you haven't lost your passion." A double WOW! Thank-you Lord Jesus for opening the window a little so we can see some fruit of our labors!
This pastor also told me that when he was a boy he and his three brothers slept in a jeepney and scratched out a living (he was incarcerated for robbery) on the streets because they came from a broken family. One brother died on the streets as a drug addict, another was shot dead by the police because he was a criminal and the other is also a pastor today. We resolved together to not give up on prisoners and street kids because they're still capable of responding to God's transforming grace through Jesus Christ.
3. Feed My Starving Children feeding visitations.
While we were at the conference we visited two recently started feedings nearby. Both are being overseen by churches and are working in coordination with local leaders and health workers. It's a great joy to partner with churches, both here and abroad, in ministry to the poor.
At one feeding session I watched two brothers, ages 5 and 8, wolf down two large bowls of food after which they had huge smiles and very round tummies. Boy they were hungry! Afterwards we visited several families, whose kids are involved, living along a creek behind a security wall of a subdivision. We wouldn't know they were there because they're hidden from view off the beaten path, in the woods and rubble. We sat in the semi-darkness on damp benches as we listened to their stories then I prayed for them. The folks enjoyed our visit and again I realized this was a "God thing" because only the Holy Spirit can move people to have compassion on the poor like Jesus did. We were like "Jesus with skin."
4. Another fire relief operation.
At one feeding session I watched two brothers, ages 5 and 8, wolf down two large bowls of food after which they had huge smiles and very round tummies. Boy they were hungry! Afterwards we visited several families, whose kids are involved, living along a creek behind a security wall of a subdivision. We wouldn't know they were there because they're hidden from view off the beaten path, in the woods and rubble. We sat in the semi-darkness on damp benches as we listened to their stories then I prayed for them. The folks enjoyed our visit and again I realized this was a "God thing" because only the Holy Spirit can move people to have compassion on the poor like Jesus did. We were like "Jesus with skin."
4. Another fire relief operation.
August 14 there was a large fire nearby that rendered 3,000 people homeless and killed one girl. The folks were scattered around their area but many are still staying in two overcrowded hot covered basketball courts. I read about this fire in one of the papers and realized it was in an area where we know pastors so we worked with them and had a relief operation the 19th for many families in coordination with the local government. We gave rice, sleeping mats, mosquito nets, cooking pots, eating utensils, pails and glasses which were much appreciated because the folks lost everything and other groups were giving canned food and used clothing. One pastor gave a short Gospel message and because there's no church in the area the three participating pastors will follow-up the people with spiritual care hoping to start a church.
5. Encouraging the brethren.
5. Encouraging the brethren.
August 24 we visited two churches that we helped start after devastating typhoons hit their areas. We visited the Real Christian Fellowship Church which had it's third anniversary in July and is averaging 20 adults and 20 youth each Sunday and their Wednesday youth night is averaging over 20 kids with many visitors. We were served a delicious seafood lunch of fish and crabs caught just before we ate because the church is located just across the road from the Pacific Ocean. What brought we great joy, though, was the woman who served us who also prayed for our meal. Previously she was too shy to pray publicly but this time she talked humbly and confidently with her heavenly Father. We also discussed with their youth pastor plans for possibly starting a feeding program for their barrio because their are many identified malnourished children, teaching the "True Love Waits" material because their are many pregnant young girls and using Child Evangelism Fellowship material for outreach to the many idle kids who are involved with drugs. Although this church is small in number they have lots of energy and a large heart for their neighbors.
That same day we visited an area that was overwhelmed by typhoon Ondoy in September '09 where we've done lots of relief and community development projects in their temporary relocation area. We visited a few families who warmly greeted us and we learned several families now have housing in a nearby permanent relocation area. Bible studies are ongoing but establishing a church is slow due to the folks' housing situation.
It's amazing to look back and remember when we got involved with the people in both areas. The Lord is is doing a beautiful work which started in the mud and rubble caused by super-typhoons.
6. Upgraded web site.
That same day we visited an area that was overwhelmed by typhoon Ondoy in September '09 where we've done lots of relief and community development projects in their temporary relocation area. We visited a few families who warmly greeted us and we learned several families now have housing in a nearby permanent relocation area. Bible studies are ongoing but establishing a church is slow due to the folks' housing situation.
It's amazing to look back and remember when we got involved with the people in both areas. The Lord is is doing a beautiful work which started in the mud and rubble caused by super-typhoons.
6. Upgraded web site.
Mary Ann worked many hours to upgrade our personal web site which is a tool we use to share with others around the world what our Lord is doing in and through us and our ACTION Philippines team. Log on at http://www.jeffmaryann.com and check it out. You'll also see photos of the items I've mentioned.
7. Update on my eye.
7. Update on my eye.
The vision in my left eye seems to be improving very slowly so thanks for praying. We've found a retina specialist and I have an appointment with him August 31 so I'm praying for a good report.
8. Tagalog-English Bibles purchased.
8. Tagalog-English Bibles purchased.
Recently we bought 52 Bibles with the generous donation of International Bible Givers (IBG) based in Anoka, Minnesota. We always need Bibles for our ministries so we're grateful for our dear friends at IBG.
9. Free books.
9. Free books.
The other day three large boxes of free books arrived from Desiring God and Children Desiring God Ministries (two separate organizations) based in Minneapolis, Mninnesota. Before we left Minnesota we were asked to select books for ACTION and CGM which we did so we're very grateful for the generosity of our dear friends of both ministries.
10. Life and ministry principles learned over 30 years in Manila.
10. Life and ministry principles learned over 30 years in Manila.
Paul and Pat Ellis, who've served with ACTION Philippines for 30 years, shared these fleshed-out principles at our monthly team meeting August 19. I think they're relevant to each of us regardless of where we live and how we serve so I'm sharing them with you.
1. Be sure of our calling from the Lord because this will sustain us in times of doubt and difficulty.2. Spend lots of time daily in the Word of God.3. Seek the Lord daily.4. Be flexible in the midst of change. *I'll add "blessed are the flexible for they won't break."5. Have a good team of prayer partners and communicate with them regularly.6. Listen to and follow leadership.7. Learn to forgive others when we're offended.8. Keep Christ as the Source of our joy and peace and not people, places, things and circumstances.
Paul and Pat's pathway for life verses are Jeremiah 29:11-12 "For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you." (NASB)
Mary Ann and I have known Paul and Pat for over 25 years and they're a joy to know and serve with. Their daughter Pami arrived earlier this year to serve as a career missionary with our birthing clinic. Their son Peter and his family are in process of raising support to come and serve as career missionaries in the near future. Paul just concluded serving a three year term on our ACTION Philippine Council or APC as we call it. Mary Ann was nominated and approved to serve as his replacement for a three year term. This council serves in an advisory role with the field director and also does various tasks to serve the team. While I was field director (and prior to that I was on the APC for several years), Mary Ann could not serve because our policies do not permit a husband and wife to serve at the same time. Since I rotated off the APC, Mary Ann is now eligible to serve.
Conclusion: Thank-you, dear friends, for praying regularly for us and our ministry colleagues. We are dependent on God daily for life, strength and sustenance as you are. You are precious to Mary Ann and me.
Sincerely in Christ,
Jeff
No comments:
Post a Comment