Friday, March 30, 2012

Accidents and illnesses happen: "my times are in Thy hand" (Psalm 31:15 KJV)

Monday while was washing supper dishes a coffee cup slipped out of my hands and smashed into the sink's counter. I instinctively tried to grab it which caused several small cuts on my fingers and a deep slice on my picky finger. Blood and glass was everywhere so we wrapped my finger in a towel and rushed to the ER of a nearby hospital. As the staff cleaned my cuts and sutured the slice they realized I could speak Tagalog which caused them to relax and all of us to have a few laughs together. I mentioned to the Doctor who was stitching me up that I've had lots of stitches over the years from sports and work but this will be my first battle scar from the kitchen. She laughed and with a smile said "accidents happen and don't do the dishes for a week" and I replied "yes Ma'am but I'll do them double-time when I'm back on duty." Of course the ER personnel wanted to know how long we've been in Manila and why we can speak their language so we told them of our life's work. There wasn't enough time to share the Gospel but they were very appreciative of our conversation.

Wednesday I came down with a very bad head cold which laid me up for two days now. My head pounded, muscles ached and nose ran like a leaky faucet but I'm feeling a little better. I learned a good lesson the hard way two years ago when I got pneumonia after feeling run down and not stopping to recover which laid me up for several difficult days. I *don't like* sick days but they've helped me get caught up with my reading.

This is happening while I have guests from California serving with SITeam until April 3. They're a delightful young family who is visiting family and the Philippines for the first after they migrated to the States 26 years ago. They've joined us after being highly endorsed by a fellow ACTION missionary who knows them from their church and the church also has spoken well of them. They and their church have prepared seven large boxes of ministry supplies for us and took a very nice offering for our work so this young couple are missionary mobilizers in their church and it's a joy getting to know them.

Accidents and illnesses are unexpected but happen as the Doctor said but our heavenly Father is sovereign and He has all things in His control therefore we can rest in Him. For me that's easier said than done but I'm learning.

--

No comments: